Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the U.S for all ages; it is a serious life threatening condition and should be taken seriously. Below are just a few suggestions that could help those struggling with suicidal or self-harming thoughts.
“The Darkness Has A Way Of Convincing Us There Is No Light, But I Can Assure You, There Is Always Light”
9 Things You Can Do RIGHT NOW If You Feel Suicidal
SEEK HELP Suicide is a serious life threatening condition. You should not deal with this alone. Below are a few options of people you can call when you are feeling suicidal/self-harming:
- CALL (9-1-1) If you feel immediately suicidal call 9-1-1, they are trained to help
- Call A Suicide Hotline You can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline anytime 24/7 at 1 (800) 273-8255
- Call a Loved One Call a friend or family member about you before you act. This can make all the difference.
CEASE ALCOHOL OR DRUG USE Avoid Alcohol or Drugs, they will only make you feel worse. If you have already consumed, wait until you are sober before acting
PUT AWAY ALL DANGEROUS ITEMS Put away anything that can harm you. If need be, leave the place that contains dangerous items.
DELAY If you have already made a plan to end your life, wait at least 48 Hours before you implement it. This will give you more time to think about the decision.
GET OUT OF THE HOUSE If you are at home, go grab something to eat or go to another public place, this will allow you time to think before acting.
WRITE DOWN A LIST OF THINGS YOU LOVE OR WANT TO LIVE FOR This is hard to do when you feel down, but try writing down the first things that come to mind (family, school, friends, job, hobbies, activities, pets, nature, life itself)
WRITE DOWN THINGS THAT YOU WANT TO END Sometimes we become suicidal because we want to end things, not ourselves. Write down things that you want to change in your life and if you feel up to it, write out a plan to change those things.
SEEK MOTIVATION Spend an hour or so watching motivational videos on YouTube or reading motivational quotes
SLEEP Sleep deprivation often leads to intense emotions. Get rest before doing anything else and don’t feel guilty about it, this is for your safety!
- Other people have experienced what you are feeling & many have found happiness after
- You don’t have to deal with this alone and you shouldn’t
- You can change everything that is wrong with your life without ending it.
- Staying alive gives you the ability to change and fix what’s wrong
- THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE, even if it doesn’t feel like it
If you are experiencing suicidal thoughts please contact 9-1-1 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1 (800) 273-8255 for immediate assistance
Please Also See “Suicide: Read This First” (click link) A Powerful Message for Those Contemplating Suicide
All information presented above is provided by a trained mental health professional and based on a culmination of experience and research on suicide prevention. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.